As mentioned in both the Alberta Education Act and the Alternative program handbook, parents are to expect a cost for sending their children to an alternative program.
As examples of other alternative programs charging fees:
- Victoria performing arts school charges fees for their optional programs. Depending on which art stream a child is enrolled in, there are additional costs
- Donnan Athletic school charges fees for their alternative sports program
- AAD Brazilian Jiu Jitsu – $1,900.00
- AAD Hockey – $3,800.00
- AAD Sport Fit – $1,900.00
- Edmonton Christian Schools charges a Christian program fee to deliver their alternative faith curriculum o $950 for kindergarten
- LOGOS Christian schools’ Alternative faith-based program is funded through donations raised by the Edmonton Logos Society. The schools charge a nominal fee as membership to the society and the society covers the rest of the alternative program through its fundraising efforts.
- Meadowlark Christian School charges fees to deliver their Alternative faith-based program:
- Kindergarten is $630
- Grade 1-9 $1,620
- Millwood’s Christian School charges a Millwoods Christian Society School fee in addition to any EPSB levied fees
Given the economies of scale, for our student population and donor population it is not feasible to rely solely on community donations to fund our program. Student bodies at the aforementioned schools reach up to 1,485 students compared to our 140 students. This results in costs incurred being covered by a smaller group of people, which drives up the per-student cost.